Acerite's MUDSchool!Lesson 1-Getting Connected/Char Creation

This is a place for newbie players to come and discuss problems they are having specifically, address any issues regarding the game not covered sufficiently in the help files, and any other newbie-helpful discussion (though please do NOT discuss details of quests, subclasses included, nor tell people how to play in this thread. Those topics will be promptly removed.)
Acerite
Build Master

Acerite's MUDSchool!Lesson 1-Getting Connected/Char Creation

Post by Acerite » Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:42 pm

Lesson 1

okay everyone take your seats...*writes his name on the board with the chaulk*

That's right, my name is Acerite and i'll be your mud instructor for the day. why? because i'm bored ;)

some of you might know/remember me, others won't, but that doesn't matter. so lets get started!

first things first, we need to make you a char now don't we? so first thing we do is log you onto fiery, just use telnet or your favorite MUDClient and connect to "fierymud.org" on port 4000 (for those of you that are lost go to start->run then type in telnet fierymud.org 4000) that will load up the opening page of FieryMUD!

now, the first question you'll be asked is do you want ANSI support. ANSI support is in essense color. FieryMUD does not have a LOT of color but there are some interesting tidbits here and there that you might like to see. so just type in Y or yes or N for no and hit enter (it might ask you twice just type in your response again)

Welcome to FieryMUD, you should now see the welcome screen :D

now you must come up with a name for your character, please avoid any common names, mytho names (hercules etc..) or proper words/phrases as you will be asked to change your name later to comply with the HELP NAME rules.

Don't be surprised if the window closes or your disconnected if you take to long to enter a name, this is quite common and just think of a name before reconnecting to keep this from happening again.

Once you have a name, type it in at the welcome screen. Assuming the name isn't already taken you'll be asked to confirm the name for proper spelling etc...simply enter Y if the name is correct or N if the name is incorrect and you wish to retype it. (if you are immediately prompted for a password it means the name has already been chosen by someone else and is in use)

When you have confirmed your characters name you will be asked for a password. simply type in something that you'll remember easily, same as you would do for any other login information.

okay now that your character has a name and password lets setup their actual characteristics! the next thing you'll be asked is if this character is Male or Female. again, simple response but please try to keep the name and the sex of your character consistent :P

Alright, now we have a name, a password and a sex for the char, but wait what race are they? now this can be a hard decision as this can/will affect what classes you can choose later on for this character aswell as some of their innate abilities/advantages. so lets go over a few pointers.

Human
The typical starter race, human's can be and subclass into anything they so desire. They are the safe bet for any newbie and have no real advantages or disadvantages.

Barbarian
This is your heavy hitter race. Barbarians are your innate warriors, not to bright but strong like an ox. The have the innate ability to bodyslam victims with their large bodies or even crash through certain doors! Their main advantage is that their are generally stronger and meatier than any other race although they suffer in both intelligence and wisdom. (higher strength and HP but lower intelligence and wisdom)

Barbarians can only be warriors or rogues with subclass ability to Mercenaries from the rogue class.

Half-Elf
These half breeds are a mixture of human and elf so don't get all excited ;). Because of their elven background these characters tend to have higher intelligence and wisdom but suffer in strength and health compared to their human cousins. They are also innately good, meaning the paths of evil are closed to them. They have innate infravision (or ability to see partially in the dark).

Half-elves can be any class but can not subclass to evil alignments like Anti-paladin or Diabolist. Rangers, a subclass of warrior, are a favorite of half-elven users.

Halflings
These tiny little fellows are our little hobbits. Because of their small stature they tend to be quite nimble. Being as agile as they are they have a bonus on Dexterity which is primarily the persons ability to perform certain stealthy tasks or avoid others attacks, they also tend to be quite wise but they suffer in both their strength and health again. Halflings have the innate ability to see in the dark through infravision and the ability to see hidden people quite well (sense life). They are of small size though so don't be surprised if you get blown around in the wind at times ;)

Halflings can start as any class but can not subclass within the warrior tree. A favorite of the halfling users are within the rogue system, primarily thieves.

Dwarf
These stocky little gents are those bearded fellows that love their axes. Dwarves, similarily like barbarians, are great warriors and it tends to show. They have improved strength and health over their human counterparts but not quite as high as a barbarians. This warriors though don't take as great a disadvantage in their intellience or wisdom as barbarians either. They do not get the ability to bodyslam or doorbash, as they do not have the same body mass to accomplish those tasks. but they do, however, have the ability to see the in dark through infravision and the ability to increase their strength if the situation calls for it.

Dwarves can not start as Sorcerers (mages) and can not subclass within the warrior tree. A favorite of dwarf users is plain warrior or mercenary.

Gnome
Ah, the tiniest of the tiny. These little guys are very intelligent and wise. Their small stature makes it hard for them to be effective in the physical realm so they tend to stick to different magic's. They tend to suffer in both strength and health, although not greatly, and have an advantage to their intellience and wisdom. They do not however have any innate abilities. (less disadvantage in stats but no special abilities)

Gnomes can only start within the Cleric or Sorcerer classes and are equally suited for both.

okay, now that you have that information you can make at least a semi informed decision about which race is best for you.

after selecting your characters race, you'll need to select your characters class. Your choices of course are Warrior, Cleric, Rogue and Sorcerer. Although depending on which race you chose you may not have all four options. Let's have a very brief look at what each class is or what subclasses are available to them. (we will go more indepth to the advantages and disadvantages of each subclass in a later lesson)

Warrior
These are your heavy hitting, pound them into the ground types. They don't believe in the arcaine or godly arts and trust their steal above all else. They tend to have higher strength and health (or should).

Warriors, depending on their race, can subclass to: Paladin, Anti-paladin, Ranger or Monk (please read the lesson on subclasses before choosing Monk).

Cleric
These godly men and women trust in their gods to provide healing to those around them. Regular clerics worship the gods in general and tend to fight both good and evil depending on whichever view they take. Clerics though may subclass dependent on which god they choose. Evil, Good or even Neutral and worship the forest.

Clerics, depending on their race, can subclass to: Priest, Diabolist or Druid.

Rogue
These shadow warriors thrive on the unsuspecting, hiding in the shadows and striking at the most opportune moments. They tend to have no allegiances except to themselves and to the highest bidder.

Rogues can subclass to: Assassin, Mercenary or Thief.

Sorcerer
Sorcerers, or more commonly called mages, strive for power in the arcaine arts. Their goal is nothing more than to be the most power around and will go through anyone or anything to obtain said power. They have no set alignment because of this goal and everything tends to be grey as their attention may be turned in any direction that benefits them. They may however lean toward evil if they choose the way of the dead through Necromancy.

Sorcerers can subclass to: Cryomancer, Pyromancer and Necromancer.

Well now, go ahead and pick the class that best suits what you wish, if you do not see the class you wish you will probably have to disconnect then reconnect to recreate your character (yes at this point you may still use the same name) choosing a different race that will allow you to use the class you wish.

okay now you should have both your characters race and class selected. now it's time to roll your stats! FieryMUD uses a random stat generator that produces a number for each of the 6 stats and represents those to you in a text format (for easy selection). The 6 stats are:

Strength
This affects the amount of damage your character will inflict with physical attacks aswell as the amount of weight they can carry.

Typically very important for Warrior classes and semi important for Rogues.

Dexterity
This is your ability to move around. High dexterity means high chance to successfully accomplish certains skills/task like hiding. It also affects your ability to dodge your opponents attacks. It will also affect your exhaustion (movement points)

Typically very important for Rogue classes.

Intellience
Yup, exactly as it sounds, this is how smart your character is. You don't really need to be smart to just smash things with your barbarian so what do you need it for? well most magic users will require higher intellience and all classes use intelligence in their skill improvement. higher intelligence = faster improvement time.

Typically very important for Sorcerers and Clerics although it does affect skill improvement for all classes.

Wisdom
This is very similar to intelligence, so just go read that one :P

Typically very important for Sorcerers and Clerics.

Constitution
This in short is your HP (Health Points). The higher your constitution the higher your HP will be both when you start the as you level. You'll also notice later on that if your constitution gets above certain landmark numbers you might achieve an HP bonus!

Typically very important for Warriors, Semi important for Rogues and not so important for Sorcerers and Clerics although I mention that because both Sorcerers and Clerics should typically NOT be tanking!

Charisma
Awww....don't you look pretty....oh wait your Charisma is only 50? damn you ugly ;)
okay yeah, charisma is basically your physical appearance. Why does this matter you ask? well it has two major affects. First, for Druids charisma can affect their ability to shapechange (it's not a HUGE difference but it's there). Second, it has a large impact on your dealings with others in the realm. With higher Charisma you will get better prices when dealing with shopkeepers for example.

Typically important for Druids.

okay so now you know what each of those stats REALLY means so lets have a roll. you should see a word pop up next to each of the 6 stats as they are rolled. the order typically goes:

Fantastic
Pretty Good
Not Bad
Fair
Bad

I won't give you the numerical values as they aren't really necessary at this time and you will figure them out later around level 15.

Once you roll a set of stats that your satisfied will benefit your character (remember that not all stats are equal for each class;)) then you can accept your stats and proceed to your bonus'. Yup you get bonus'...three in fact. Basically you get three bonus points to add to any stat you wish. this can be used to adjust a stat you neglected or to further improve the imporant ones. after you've done that you may proceed into the MUD!

Your Character will be added to the roster of players and saved at this time. Happy Mudding! :D

You may now proceed to Lesson 2.
Last edited by Acerite on Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Acerite Grethinaki
Lord of the Sky
Clar

Post by Clar » Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:43 pm

gaa, this is going to take me all night to read! and i suppose you're going to have us write a research paper on it?
Acerite
Build Master

Post by Acerite » Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:44 pm

damn straight...400 words by tomorrow morning! chop chop
Acerite Grethinaki
Lord of the Sky
Clar

Post by Clar » Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:45 pm

*raises hand* but mr grethinakhi, dont you know the math teacher's giving a test tomorrow? that's just too much work for one night.
Clar

Post by Clar » Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:51 pm

please avoid any common names, mytho names (hercules etc..) or proper words/phrases
and what about elven names and such? *raises eyebrow*
Acerite
Build Master

Post by Acerite » Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:53 pm

elven names are acceptable aslong as again, they aren't common mytho names. although in most cases i'd say make sure the elven name fits the character aswell....don't give your elven mage a name that means "headsmasher" cause it just doesn't fit. mind you that's more of a common sense thing than a set rule.
Acerite Grethinaki
Lord of the Sky
Clar

Post by Clar » Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:00 pm

nod, makes sense.

ok done reading. good stuff, i wish i'd had this to explain to my two newbie friends. (yeah yeah i know, you explained all this when i started. i forgot, ok?) waiting for lesson two :wink:
Cerworn

Post by Cerworn » Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:16 pm

Mr. Acerite-Teacher-Man, I have a question... I once put all three of my bonuses into Charisma, but it didn't seem to do anything. If I put all three of my bonuses into something else, it always seems to raise it a level (not bad to pretty good for example). Does that not work for Cha?
Blessed Be,

Cerworn, Daughter of the Mother Goddess
Acerite
Build Master

Post by Acerite » Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:53 pm

hmm.....as far as i know (i can't really check anymore) things should be fine, perhaps you were just closer to the next level with those other ones? like you could have been 1 point into the current one and it requires say 10 to get to the next. your bonus' might not cover all that.
Acerite Grethinaki
Lord of the Sky