Acerite's MUDSchool!Lesson 2-Basic Setup/Getting Started

This is a place for newbie players to come and discuss problems they are having specifically, address any issues regarding the game not covered sufficiently in the help files, and any other newbie-helpful discussion (though please do NOT discuss details of quests, subclasses included, nor tell people how to play in this thread. Those topics will be promptly removed.)
Acerite
Build Master

Acerite's MUDSchool!Lesson 2-Basic Setup/Getting Started

Post by Acerite » Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:07 pm

Welcome back! Everyone finish their report on lesson 1? Make sure you put it on my desk before you leave today :P

Okay, Lesson 2 Basic Setup and Getting Started. (this is a short lesson ;) )

Now that we've created our character and have the stats/class we want lets do a basic setup of what needs to be done first.

First off, lets have a look at what you should see. with ANSI (colour) on you should see a jumble of numbers all in green at the bottem of your screen, something like this
<24h(24H) 100v(100V)>
okay, the number preceeding the small h is your current health. The number preceeding the large H in the brackets is your Max health. the same pattern applies for the V's which are your movement points. Now you can change this display through your display option. By typing simply, 'display' you'll get a list of the different predefined options for the display screens. if you would prefer one of these different options just type 'display' followed by the number for the options you would prefer.

Now that your display is setup. Each new characters gets a small collection of starter equipment. This usually includes some sort of weapon, a couple pieces of clothing, a waterskin to drink from and a small map of Mielikki (Mielikki is the small village where you will have started). these items are located in your inventory. simply type inventory (or you can use short forms like 'in' for inventory) to see what your currently holding.

okay, so lets get you equiped. you have two ways of doing this. First, you can manually go through and wear each item (type 'wear' and the keyboard representing the item, like 'wear leggings') or second, you can wear all the items that are currently wearable by typing 'wear all'. This will get you fully equiped. With that your ready to get going for physical combat.

but wait, we don't even know where we are yet do we? so lets have a look around. so just type 'look' or 'l' for short. you'll notice that your in the Inner Sanctum of your guild (class). of course that still doesn't mean much, does it? well don't forget, we had a map! so lets have a look at it. type 'look map' and you'll see a general layout of the town with a key on the right side showing you what each abreviation means etc... there is also a second side to the map that you can see by typing 'look side2'. As you read through the key you'll notice that the numbers represent each of the starting locations for the different classes.
1) Cleric
2) Warrior
3) Rogue
4) Sorcerer

With those details in mind you SHOULD be able to find your way out of town once we go over movement.

Movement in FieryMUD is restricted to 6 general directions. East, West, North, South, Up and Down. Each room will have a list of exits available immediately under the description that looks like.
Obvious Exits: -S
that view shows that you can only go south, so you can type 'south' or just 's' for short and you'll exit your current room and enter the room to the south. it's as simple as that :)

Now that you know how to move, go explore around town and when your ready to get into combat and gain exp you'll want to go out the West Gate into Farmer's Row to fight bugs :P

Now that we've covered Lesson 2 let me now direct where each person should go. If your reading about Warriors or Rogues please bypass Lesson 3 and proceed directly to Lesson 4.
Last edited by Acerite on Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Acerite Grethinaki
Lord of the Sky
Jalor

Post by Jalor » Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:46 am

Oh gosh, I didn't even know about the display thing...GAH!

GAH I TELL YOU!

-J
Clar

Post by Clar » Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:43 pm

what's your policy on late work? :p
Acerite
Build Master

Post by Acerite » Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:02 pm

no assignment handed in? you fail, go back to lesson 1!
Acerite Grethinaki
Lord of the Sky
Pergus

Post by Pergus » Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:12 am

Part of the whole problem is that there is missing functionality like oh, I dunno... THE most key one of all time: Command.

"Wha?", "Comma huh?". you say...

If help command even listed 90% of the available commands, even a boob could figure things out without need of online help guides, mud school, etc.

But that's just my opinion.
Pergus - Rick Sala passed away June 21 2006..
Pergus Tynllyr
Megalomaniac :twisted:

AIM: Daroowise
MSN: Daroowise - netzero.net
Yahoo: Daroowise
Web: http://www.arende.net/personal/
Laich

Post by Laich » Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:29 am

This is great for newbs who have no idea what they are doing. IMHO we should have relative information accessable from the main website. Simply because not many people (that I know) will start a session on the forums before they play the MUD. Hopefully this can be remedied in the near future as our site really needs an update anyways.

I agree Pergus, we need more help files and that one is a good idea. I have someone working on those and it's time to slap them around again so I will just add to their list then get a whip for some heavy sweatshop drills.
-Laich

I am Becoming
Pergus

Post by Pergus » Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:53 am

Just cornhole someone until they fix the command function.

Memory is failing me of late but I seem to recall that the only thing that IS wrong with it is that it displays ALL the functions that aren't really suppose to be functions that everyone has.

Seems like the best remedy for that would be to just tag the command interpreter with yet another field (as if that heaping pile of steaming... doesn't already have enough) to recognize if the function *should* be displayed during the command's parsing of the commands readily available.

If that isn't what's wrong with it... someone should just yank the code for wizh and slap out the level checks and add in the already suggested hack... voila.

Yea... yea... I could have done this before. Actually, I meant to do this a long time ago but uh... what can I say... I had more lofty things in mind. Isn't that how it usually runs ;)

Ok, back to my three hour sessions of grinding out characters in guild wars. Yes, I've become a slave to eye candy. Sue me.
Pergus Tynllyr

Clar

Post by Clar » Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:52 am

Laich wrote:
not many people (that I know) will start a session on the forums before they play the MUD
heh. i know of at least two. one being myself.

and actually ace's basic lessons are answering some of my questions, believe it or not (yes i know how sad that is). so dont stop him please.
Acerite
Build Master

Post by Acerite » Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:27 pm

well it won't stop me and i guess this is more of a suggestion for things that could be put into a MUD School if someone actually takes the time to put one together.

just a guideline
Acerite Grethinaki
Lord of the Sky
Pergus

Post by Pergus » Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:06 am

Oh, *I* wasn't trying to dissuade you... however, I think if one really wanted to put something comprehensive together rather than just randomness, it would be ideal to sit down and look at the process of being a noob.

Go through gencon step by step and touch on each appropriately. There's also something to be said for professional appearance vs something that reads like funny post *shrug*

Same with once you're inside the mud, what's the first thing you should start with. What are the singlemost commands they need familiarity with and how can it all be explained and tied together without bogging them down with mindless pages of content.

Class related stuff should obviously be touched upon at gencon rather than in game since its part of the decision making process. I'd see something along the lines of a link to explaination of the spell casting/memorization/meditation/etc process rather than adding convoluted process.

Anywho... mostly thinking out loud (er... yea) but it would be nice to see it done formatted and somewhat professional in appearance and not just haphazardly. *shrug*
Pergus Tynllyr

Acerite
Build Master

Post by Acerite » Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:46 am

bah, remember i'm a student with little to no life as is and i'm basically writting these quickly in between classes. also, this is basically a charity case in the sense that at least it's something. i'm not really caring about professionalism for the sake of getting the information down.

now, i have noticed one or two things that i've basically forgotten about and i'll probably add them later when i get some time on my hands to go through and actually reread what i wrote before but i thought IMHO that i gave most of the information required for choosing a class/race before actually getting into it. perhaps i forgot something? perhaps it wasn't written quite up to par? but i did think i covered most if not all of it.
Acerite Grethinaki
Lord of the Sky
Acerite
Build Master

Post by Acerite » Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:49 am

oh also, this was originally designed as exactly that, a funny post that would convey some small wisdom. perhaps even stand as some sort of guideline or reference guide of what needs/should be included if someone were to make an actual MUDSchool later on. i realize that most newbies aren't going to come into the forums to go through the MUDSchool before making a char and jumping into things and that's why i haven't really cared for professionalism etc..
Acerite Grethinaki
Lord of the Sky
Pergus

Post by Pergus » Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:21 am

good times... good times
Pergus Tynllyr