Acerite's MUDSchool!Lesson 4-Combat and Spell Usage(remem)

This is a place for newbie players to come and discuss problems they are having specifically, address any issues regarding the game not covered sufficiently in the help files, and any other newbie-helpful discussion (though please do NOT discuss details of quests, subclasses included, nor tell people how to play in this thread. Those topics will be promptly removed.)
Acerite
Build Master

Acerite's MUDSchool!Lesson 4-Combat and Spell Usage(remem)

Post by Acerite » Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:24 pm

okay will continue to type this up after...i got to the very end and the window closed :(
Acerite Grethinaki
Lord of the Sky
Clar

Post by Clar » Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:17 am

ok i'm caught up on my homework and am ready for the next lesson sir :)
rockmonkey91

Post by rockmonkey91 » Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:53 pm

is this thing ever gonna get updated
Acerite
Build Master

Post by Acerite » Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:58 pm

bah...sooner or later
Acerite Grethinaki
Lord of the Sky
rockmonkey91

Post by rockmonkey91 » Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:30 pm

sooner or later just never seems to come
Acerite
Build Master

Post by Acerite » Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:31 pm

oh right....thanks for bumping this, i'll get to it.
Acerite Grethinaki
Lord of the Sky
Zzur
Slack Master

Post by Zzur » Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:31 pm

You should write up any post that is 'long' in wordpad first and paste into an entry. The cookies assocaited with posteding have a lifetime that is finite and rather small.

Also the posts can't be overly huge. This is to protect the system the boards run on.
Zzur Lord of Chaos
Overlord of the Known Realms
Acerite
Build Master

Post by Acerite » Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:19 pm

Alright class is back in for most students and thus class is back in here too! now sitdown, shutup and pay attention!

DISCLAIMER: Attack things in town only at your own peril as 99% of the mobs within it's confines WILL slaughter you in one hit....and it's rare they miss.

Combat and Spell Usage

Okay casters, go read your first mem'ing sections for review while i take care of the morons...er...i mean tanks.

Warriors and Rogues

Tanks are easy stuff, mainly slash and bash. First thing tanks to be familar with are what skills they can use while in combat aswell as as innate skills that might be of asset as well. Barbarians for example have bodyslam which functions similarly to the bash command that any warrior will have. The difference being that bash requires a shield to function and bodyslam does not...however a well trained warrior will use bash.

First lets figure out which skills you have, if you type 'skill' you'll see a full list of options at your disposal (this is especially important for you rogue types) have a look for the important ones, these are usually one of the following: Kick, Bash, Backstab, Bodyslam, Layhands, Throatcut etc...

Now each class will have a selection of those but never all so just pay attention to what you do have so you can use them appropriately. Now here's how they work!

Bodyslam - this skill can ONLY be used when first starting combat. the person using this will run at the target attempting to knock them down with their own body. should they succeed the target will hit the floor hard and you get a couple of free slashes in without the target being able to hit you.

Bash - Similar to bodyslam, however in this case, the skill may be used at anytime during combat (assuming you yourself are not paralyze in some fashion) the trick to this is that you MUST be wearing a shield to effectively accomplish this feat, the only exception to that rule is when using a twohanded weapon, in which case the chance you will succeed shall be halved. Now don't be discouraged if it doesn't work out the first few times you try this as it WILL take time to get your skill up but once it IS up this skill is a great asset.

Kick - Effectively you try to well....kick...the target. this skill again CAN be used while in combat, however it can only be used approximately every other round. As far as combat is concerned it's an additional hit in against the target, which can be nice as it all adds up, right?

Backstab - This is a rogue skill only and one that is especially nice if you have another tank in your group. you MUST be using daggers to accomplish this feat and it WILL take time to get this skill up. Effectively you are attempting to stab your daggers into the back of your target. This skill can be used to initiate combat or while you are NOT the tank for the battle. Again this skill can be used approximately once every other round.

Throatcut - Amazingly useful skill for assassins only. A well trained assassin can easily sneak up behind and target and slice through their exposed throat. You can effective take a target from 100% down to 1% of their maximum HP in one hit. This skill, however, can only be used once ever 4 or 5 minutes approximately although that time does decrease as your skill in the art increases. Don't be surprised if it takes FOREVER to land one of these but it IS worth it.
Note: by effectively landing a throatcut you are also eliminating the equivilant percentage of exp from its kill as hp.

Layhands - Anti and Paladin function only, this skill has two VERY different effects depending on who uses it and who they use it on. Essentially an Anti-paladin can deal a great amount of damage to a target to quickly cripple the target. Paladins on the other hand can either deal damage to EVIL targets or heal those are are neutral or good, including themselves. This skill can only be used once every 24 hours mud time. approximately every 20 minutes. (Think this might have been changed aswell however as of this post this is what i believe to be true)

Now if you do NOT want to use one of those skills and you just wish to start combat all you must do is type one of the combat key words: hit, kill, murder etc... followed by the targets name/keyword. Just remember that as of this post PK is not allowed in regular game play and thus attempting to attack another player will not work.

Now either sit back and watch the battle or continue to use your skills to increase your advantage. Should you find that you are losing the battle and death is eminent you do have the option to FLEE from the battle in hopes of recovering. Just be aware that some mobs WILL track you down to finish the job, so keep on your toes.

Mages and Clerics

Already while the tanks go and beat each other over the head with their clubs we'll talk about casting spells and remem'ing so that they might be used again.

Now casters first rule...ALWAYS have a tank ready to take on the mob so that you don't have to deal with the blows. good casters can function as both at times but it is a very unnecessary and risky challenge in doing so.

Okay now that your tank has started combat with the enemy lets get some damage in, or in the case of clerics, make sure that tank doesn't die on us. By this point we should already have our spells memorized/prayed up for use so lets get them going. All single target offensive spells will require you designate a target for them UNLESS you are actively involved in the combat (hacking and slashing) in which case it will default to the target you are currently attempting to hit. All defensive spells, including healing, will default to yourself unless otherwise specified as well. so.....i can:

cast 'magic missile' <target>

to attack the enemy. i can:

cast 'armor'
or
cast 'armor' <tank>

to protect myself or the tank or i can:

cast 'cure light'
or
cast 'cure light' <tank>

to heal myself or the tank.

all other spells will follow the same usage pattern.

Okay now we have a problem, we're only level 1 which means we only had that one spell so after using it we're kinda stuck without anything! *gasp*

well don't fret all we have to do is rememorize it again...now don't jump up and scream bloody murder cause it's such a long process again. in this case all you have to do is sit back down and type mem/pray to start memorizing it again. you'll notice it keeps a list of currently available spells in the upper portion of the mem list and any spell that has been used is remembered in the bottem portion so that you do not have to manually retype them again. Should you wish to use a different spell instead of the one you already have memorized or that is in need of memorizing all you need to do is simply type 'forget <spellname>' or if you wish 'forget all' this will free up space for new spells.

once you have finished remem'ing your spells jump back up to aid your tank again or find another target!

that's it for now, get going!
Acerite Grethinaki
Lord of the Sky