i dont have telnet and i cant find it

This is a place for newbie players to come and discuss problems they are having specifically, address any issues regarding the game not covered sufficiently in the help files, and any other newbie-helpful discussion (though please do NOT discuss details of quests, subclasses included, nor tell people how to play in this thread. Those topics will be promptly removed.)
thalone

i dont have telnet and i cant find it

Post by thalone » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:24 am

i used to play a few years ago i had an assassin like level 40 no big. but i havn't been on in a long time. not since the site has been improved. when i click on the telnet link it says

The webpage cannot be displayed
Most likely cause:
Some content or files on this webpage require a program that you don't have installed.

i tried looking for a place to download the new version of telnet but i cant find it. can someone email me a link or something kuz i miss fiery.
thalone

Post by thalone » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:42 am

A very old version of zMUD that is FREE. Works under Windows 3.x. Does not contain the mapper or any other feature added in the last two years. This version is not supported. This version of zMUD DOES NOT WORK ON WINDOWS XP. No free version is available for Windows XP or later.
No free version is available for Windows XP or later.
No free version is available for Windows XP or later!
i pretty much answered my own question looking through th forums
i got a dell with windows xp. is there any way i could play for free kuz im a tight wad but i love fiery.
Cronax

Post by Cronax » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:47 am

Putty!

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgta ... nload.html

The simplest way: grab puttytel.exe.

Windows XP does have a telnet client, which you can run from the command line, but Putty is better.
thalone

k i found it

Post by thalone » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:16 pm

but now im at puTTYtel configuration.
i tried clicking on the link that said telnet://fierymud.org:4000 and i got the same thing i did last time
when i put that link into the host name it worked for like 2 shakes of a lambs tail. but it wasent fiery it was just the telnet window. whatever i typed came up but no program.
Kourrya

Post by Kourrya » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:06 pm

From the Putty configuration screen, you want to type in the Host Name as

fierymud.org

Make sure "telnet" is selected

port number is 4000

(then you can save the session as "fiery" if you want).

As far as an actual mud-like client...I dunno, I don't use clients anymore.
thalone

yay!!! im playing thanx much

Post by thalone » Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:38 pm

i kill i kill i kill yay. thanx to all of you guys assistance. i bow to you my friends