Beginners Guide

This is a place for newbie players to come and discuss problems they are having specifically, address any issues regarding the game not covered sufficiently in the help files, and any other newbie-helpful discussion (though please do NOT discuss details of quests, subclasses included, nor tell people how to play in this thread. Those topics will be promptly removed.)
Tacun

Beginners Guide

Post by Tacun » Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:57 am

I read the first 4 help lessons, but I'm wondering if there is a help guide I'm not seeing. Something that contains how to level up, how to save and quit without losing your eq....little things like that, that the more experienced players take for granted that everyone knows. I haven't played any telnet games in over 15 yrs and was just thinking a beginners guide sure would help me get back into playing. I don't even know if anyone even checks these boards anymore, but thoought I would give it a shot just in case. :P
Zzur
Slack Master

Re: Beginners Guide

Post by Zzur » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:16 am

Did you read "help newbie" ?

What have you read so far in our help?
Zzur Lord of Chaos
Overlord of the Known Realms
Tacun

Post by Tacun » Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:48 pm

I read help newbie, I read help warrior, I read help skill_warrior, I have read help area. I have also read the 4 posts on getting started. I'm not saying the info isn't out there, it is just hard to find it all. Maybe if there were a few more of those posts, like 1-6 instead of 1-4, maybe it would be easier to start. I played this game years ago, so i remembered a little, but if i hadn't i don't know that I would have kept playing long enough to get going. If there was a guide that said "once you have completed creating your character, be sure to wear the eq you start with. As a new character you might want to check out ______area to the _____ of town or maybe ________ to the _____ of town." Just something so that all the starting info is together instead of having to read 10 different help files to piece all the info together. Maybe everyone else knows where to look, but i had a pretty hard time getting started.....I didn't even know how to save and quit until i happened to remember when i saw the camp command in the commands list.
Also, is there anyway to meet other characters in game, besides just happening to walk past them? I would like to find some other players to possibly join and explore with, but in my 3 hours of playing i've only seen 2 other people.
Thanks for your help and your quick reply.
Tacun
workerbee

Post by workerbee » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:55 am

I don't believe there's any such guide, though it would be useful. Here's a few quick answers to some of your questions;

The bug fields immediately west of town are great experience! This experience is lowered by repeatedly killing the same mobs so be sure to check your 'trophy' command regularly (help trophy). I personally would kill bugs until my trophy is getting into the red then run into Kaaz (just north of the bug fields right outside of town) and also running the fields east of town.

The 'who' command will show you who, if anyone, is presently on.

You can use the 'rent' command in an inn to logout while saving your equipment. If you cannot make it to an inn, you can 'camp' in any room that is outside. The inn is located off of Sleepy boulevard (s3wnwu from fountain).
Playing the wall at singles bingo, all time gringo.